Our Little Boogers

Sharing our lives: two kids, two full-time jobs, one old house, and plenty of love and laughter. And baseball.

Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday with a 9 month old

Today, while our family was prepping for the beginning of Shark Week and a church picnic, Owen got into a little trouble. But first, this aside.


Shark Week starts tonight on the Discovery Channel so this afternoon we were watching Discovery because they always air previous seasons to get you amped up for the new week. It's kind of nice because the boy's mom loves Shark Week. In fact, she's recording it on the DVR. We rarely get to watch nature programs at our house because one time when she was little she was watching one with her dad and a lion ate a gazelle baby or something. (sniff, sniff, sob, sob)


Shortly after we were married she gave in and we began watching a nature show. It was a cute story of three babies; a hippo, a lion, and a croc. Close to the end of the hour, after we had become attached to the little animals and there potential lives ahead, the poor little hippo baby was tragically trampled to death after the grown-up hippos get scared of something. The baby hippos mother wouldn't leave its body and was getting terribly sunburned guarding it from who else but the lion and the croc from our story. It was really sad and my wife started bawling. So no more nature shows when she's around and that's why Shark Week is nice, though I don't understand how watching giant fish eat poor helpless furry seals is much different, but I'll take it.


So anyway, I was watching the amp up to Shark Week and the boy's mom was in the kitchen baking cookies for our church's baptism service/picnic this evening. The kid was crawling around in the floor playing close to me for a little bit and then he snuck into the kitchen and was scampering around under his mom's feet. This went on for a little while as he knocked a empty juice bottle around the kitchen and was making lots of noise, which he loves to do. Then it was quiet for a little too long. I'm not sure how long, because I am like my father in that when the TV is on, we go deaf. I finally realized I was hearing something in our half bathroom (right off the kitchen, mind you) and I got up to check on the kid. This is what I found.



That wasn't an old roll of toilet paper either. What a mess! This kinda stuff gets under my skin a little, but I'm working on it. I got a little aggravated at his mom and we began discussing who should have been watching the little guy.


Meanwhile, he slithered off across the room and interrupted our discussion with a splash. He loves that stupid dog water bowl! Remember this post? Needless to say he is moving faster and faster and I'm gonna have to learn to deal with my mess phobia.

3 comments:

  1. In my defense, I was little and it was a baby elephant that was killed by a falling tree. It was tragic. I'll never understand why nature shows follow an animal for that long if they're just going to kill it off at the end. They could edit that part out and make up a happily-ever-after ending. Nobody would have to know.

    Also, the baby lion was starving to death, so it needed to eat the poor dead baby hippo. The poor hippo mom had worked SO HARD to raise her baby and its stupid dad killed it. It was TERRIBLE, and I said that nature shows always made you like a doomed animal and my new husband laughed and assured me that I didn't know what I was talking about.

    Also, I was baking cookies, which required my full attention and I believe that I had asked for help earlier.

    Thank you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every boy should have a nice toilet paper nest at some point in his life.
    I mean, it's not as if you can't still use the paper.
    At least he didn't pull down a tree! :-)
    Gramps (being a big help, as always)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite blog entry so far! LOL!

    ReplyDelete