Our Little Boogers

Sharing our lives: two kids, two full-time jobs, one old house, and plenty of love and laughter. And baseball.

Thursday, January 19, 2012

Carolina on my mind

Ever since our trip down south for Christmas I've had a hankering' for some good barbecue.  It's been too long since I've been to Eastern Carolina and I miss so many places that dot the road between Beaufort and Raleigh; place like the Barbecue Lodge in Raleigh, Wilber's of Goldsboro, Roland's in Beaufort, and even the local chain Smithfield's Chicken and BBQ.

Well, I had enough and tried my hand at some good eastern Carolina vinegar sauce.  I bought a pork loin and (because it is winter) cooked it in the slow cooker all day Tuesday.  After sufficient time I took it out, pulled it, and poured my sauce all over it and let it simmer for another hour.  Emily made some cole slaw (delicious - thanks Southern Living). We broke out our $0.99 wheat buns and this is the result.

There are a few things I'll tweak next time, but all in all, a worthy effort and a satisfied palate.

The boy didn't want any.  Dumbhead.

Enjoy your banana and milk while I enjoy this awesome barbecue sandwich with the soggy bun while sauce runs down my arms and drips off my elbows and slaw falls out the back onto my plate into the pool of vinegary goodness.  You don't know what you are missing!

4 comments:

  1. The pulled pork really was delicious. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The description of eating BBQ is lyrical! love Grandma

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm ... sounds like a Philly cheesesteak ... best when the juice is running down your arms.

    (Maybe the Booger is more of a smoked BBQ kind of guy.)

    Love,

    Gramps

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds delicious! That eastern Carolina barbeque is great! Can't wait to try some of yours. Love,
    Nana

    ReplyDelete